WELCOME TO HERVEY BAY
about hervey bay
Hervey Bay has often been called the jewel in Queensland’s tourism crown and the Whale Watch
Capital of the World.
A holiday playground since its earliest days, the superb climate relaxed lifestyle, beautiful calm beaches,
and a host of interesting land and water based activities, lure thousands of Australian and overseas
visitors to Hervey Bay each year.
The city has a wonderful sub tropical climate with temperatures generally ranging from 14 to 23 degrees Celsius in winter and 22 to 29 degrees Celsius in summer.
Rainfall is low with many more fine days than other Queensland holiday centres.
Hervey Bay has some 60 kilometres of water frontage and around 600 acres of reef just off shore from
the Urangan Harbour. Lying parallel to Hervey Bay on its eastern side is world heritage listed Fraser
Island, the world’s largest sand island with its beautiful natural beaches, rain forests and fresh water
Hervey Bay offers an idyllic holiday environment with fishing, cycling, restaurant dining, cinemas,
beaches, clubs, shopping centres and sporting facilities catering for people of all ages.
A pristine marine environment and expansive sheltered waters where Humpback Whales rest and play
on their return journey to Antarctic waters enhance its reputation as the Whale Watch Capital of the
ways to enjoy hervey bay
- Spend time walking through the tropical forests of the beautiful Botanic Gardens.
Why not have a picnic there and visit the orchid conservatory?
- Take a drive along the Tourist Drive 12. Stroll through Arkarra Lagoons, a bird watchers delight,
with ducks, swans, fish and turtles.
- Cycle, walk or jog all or part of the 15 kilometre Scenic Walkway along the waterfront.
- Visit the Art Gallery or the many galleries displaying the work of local artists.
- Take a walk along the Urangan Pier or try a spot of fishing.
- Visit the Historical Village and Museum at Scarness; 19 buildings, 8000 exhibits,
3 acres, BBQ Facilities.
- Watch the pelicans at Point Vernon, Torquay or the boat harbour.
- Swim and enjoy a barbeque at the many spots along the Esplanade.
- Try golf, tennis, squash, ten-pin bowling, lawn bowls, croquet, horse riding.
- Tale a swim at the Aquatic Centre.
- Discover historic Howard and Torbanlea.
- Stroll along the boardwalk and jetty at Urangan Harbour.
- Visit the Heritage City of Maryborough (market Thursday morning).
- Visit the many attractions available for families.
- Take a drive to beautiful Toogoom Beach and watch the pelicans from the boardwalk.
- Enjoy the many Water Sports in Hervey Bay e.g. kayaking, diving and jet skiing
- Wander around historic Dayman Park Lookout.
- Shop the Sunday markets - Urangan, 2nd, 4th & 5th Sunday each month from 6am,
Nikenbah Animal Refuge 1st & 3rd Sundays from 6am.
- Take a day trip and explore World Heritage listed Fraser Island.
- See the largest collection of genealogical records in regional Australia.
- Discover the importance of the Butchulla Tribe at the Pialba monument.
- Fly to beautiful Lady Elliot Island for a day’s snorkeling.
- Taste the difference of seafood fresh from local trawlers. Swim, fish, relax and enjoy a barbeque at Lenthals Dam or Wongai Waterholes.
- Visit River Heads where the Mary and Susan Rivers run into the Great Sandy Straits.
- Cruise the Great Sandy Straits in a Houseboat.
- Skydive and feel the rush of jumping over Hervey Bay from 10,000 feet.
- Take a Scenic Flight over the Bay and Fraser Island.
- Try your hand at some of the local Fishing spots.
- Collect Shells along the sandy beaches.
- Watch the Sunrise and Sunset over the Water.
For more information about any of these interesting, free, fun activities and other great things
and do in the Fraser Coast contact the friendly teams at one of the
Fraser Coast Visitors' Information Centres.
Ph: 1800 811 728 or 07 4197 4730
E: email@example.com www.visitfrasercoast.com/
fraser coast visitors' information Centres
Hervey Bay Visitor Information Centre
227 Maryborough-Hervey Bay Road QLD 4655
Hervey Bay Airport Visitor Information Centre
Don Adams Drive, Hervey Bay Airport QLD 4655